Jun 23, 2005

Financial Responsibility

Thinking about their finances makes many people feel out of control. I used to feel that way when I first graduated from law school and started working. I was making a decent amount of money but felt like I could barely pay my expenses. Thanks to the internet, however, I learned how to take control of my finances and that made me feel like I was in control of my life. The most important thing you can do is keep a log of every penny you spend, so you can see where your money is going. Once you have that information, you can decide where you can spend less. I was able to save money by eating out less, cooking more, and bringing my lunch to work. I also stopped buying clothes and shoes all the time, asking myself if I would wear an item often enough to justify the cost before I bought it. Right now I am adjusting to the expense of having a child (I knew it would be expensive but wasn't quite prepared for just how expensive!). The out-of-control feeling fades as you realize that you do have control. And being in control of your finances is one of the keys to happiness. 

No comments: