Jun 11, 2005

Yummy Granola

Below is a recipe for Yummy Granola, a staple in my household. In the next few days, I'll post some delicious recipes that incorporate Yummy Granola. I've added some nutrition facts, but remember, I'm not a nutritionist so I can't be held liable for any inaccuracies. And don't rely on me for medical advice, either - it became pretty clear in college that med school was not for me.

Yummy Granola (adapted from the recipe in Kathleen Daehlman's Cooking Thin cookbook)

4 cups oats 1 cup walnuts (I take a bag of halves and break them up with my hand) 2/3 cup sliced raw almonds 2/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/3 cup water 1/3 cup brown sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan or baking sheet with parchment paper. (Ideally, the parchment paper will be just big enough to go up the sides of your jelly roll pan so that later you will be able to lift the granola out by holding the parchment and use that to pour the granola into your container.)

2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds and salt.

3. Combine the water and brown sugar in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 1/2 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved. Be careful not to let the mixture boil over the sides. (I just use a Pyrex measuring cup instead of a bowl.) Stir in the vanilla extract.

4. Pour the sugar mixture over the oat mixture and stir well to combine. Pour the mixture onto the parchment paper and spread into a thin layer.

5. Bake the granola for 35 minutes, stirring once after 20 minutes to ensure even cooking. Let cool completely before storing.

Nutrition bonus: Oats are an excellent source of fiber, walnuts contain omega-3 fatty oils, and nuts and seeds are a good source of healthy fats.

No comments: