Jul 7, 2005

If You've Ever Wanted To Write A Novel, Try NaNoWriMo

Have you always wanted to write a novel but never gotten around to it? Or maybe you've started but never gotten past the first chapter? Then maybe NaNoWriMo is for you.

NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. The idea is to write a 50,000 word (175 page) novel during the month of November. Check out their website for details.

As for me, well, you might have guessed from the fact that I publish this blog that I have writing aspirations. Always have. I have an idea for a novel based on some of my legal cases, so I'm thinking about signing up for NaNoWriMo (you know, if it were up to me, I'd probably call it something else). Sign up doesn't start until October 1, so I've got some time to decide if I have the time for this. (Don't ask me what my ideas are. I'm neither courageous nor confident enough to share.)

I don't know if you've ever felt this way about writing, but I find it scary. It makes me feel vulnerable, especially fiction. Too many hidden truths can find their way out. Madeleine L'Engle, one of my favorite authors, has written about that fear and the courage needed to be a true writer in several books, but my favorite is called Walking On Water. I haven't written fiction in a long time. Maybe in November I'll be brave enough to try again.


No comments: