Aug 3, 2005

Mommy-Daddy Time

One of my girlfriends went to a breastfeeding support group meeting and mentioned that she was a little worried about her milk supply. The others suggested that she bring her son into bed with her so he could nurse throughout the night, but my friend said she was reluctant because she wanted "Mommy-Daddy time." The group looked at her askance - how dare she put her relationship with her husband first?

Well, she and I aren't the only ones who think it's important to continue to nurture your marriage after the birth of a child. Before Alex was born, I read The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood by Vicki Iovine, and found myself agreeing with her on the importance of being courteous to my husband when I felt like screaming, and nodding when she pointed out that it was my husband I would be spending the rest of my life with, not my baby.

It isn't easy making my marriage a priority, but Marc and I both try to make time each day to catch up and to cuddle. We are best friends, and we are bound and determined to stay that way. And if takes Alex sleeping in his own crib and not in our bed to do that, then that's how it's going to be.

No comments: