Tips on Saving Energy and Water
These tips were included in my Los Angeles Department of Water & Power bill:
- Turn off lights and equipment when not in use.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact flourescent lamps where appropriate.
- Close drapes, shades and blinds to reduce extra heat from sunlight (or open them in cold weather) and check your home for adequate insulation.
- Plant shade trees to reduce heat gain in the house and help with water runoff.
- Install and use ceilings fans or whole house fans.
- Set the air conditioner to 78 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter.
- When adding new plants to your yard, use native or other drought-tolerant plants.
- Clean or replace air condition filters every month.
- Regularly brush or vacuum the condenser coil of your refrigerator and check the door gasket for a tight fit.
- Buy appliances with the "Energy Star" label.
- Check your sprinklers for leaks and make sure you are not watering the sidewalk or street.
- Do not water lawns on windy days or during the hottest time of the day, when the evaporation rate is high.
Labels: money saving tips