Breastfeeding An Older Baby
Here are some things I didn't know but am glad to know now about nursing a six to twelve-month-old:
- About half of nursing moms notice that it takes longer to get a let down.
- Baby should nurse about seven times a day.
- A baby who's eating solid food needs at least 18 ounces of breastmilk (or formula) a day.
- Baby may nurse more frequently during the day because of longer night sleeping.
- When it seems as if baby may be "self-weaning," baby may be on a (temporary) nursing strike.
- Although some breastfed babies sleep through the night, many of them sleep in four to seven hours stretches.