Oct 4, 2005

Product Review - Baby Food Ice Cube Trays

Baby food ice cube trays aren't a necessity, but they are a nice convenience because they have a tight-fitting lid that helps to prevent freezer burn. I bought two kinds, one by Kidco and one by Fresh Baby. At first I thought I liked the Kidco ones more because they make bigger cubes - supposedly two ounces, but in reality about one and one-half. The Fresh Baby trays make one-ounce cubes. It's pretty hard to get the cubes out of both trays, and in fact I broke the Kidco one this evening by twisting it too hard to get the last cube of green beans out.

The overall verdict: Don't bother. Regular ice cube trays work just fine. I cool the baby food completely, then spoon it into the trays. I put plastic wrap directly over the food to keep out as much air as possible, then wrap the entire tray in two or more layers of plastic wrap. When the food has hardened, I transfer the cubes to a zip-top freezer bag, label it, squeeze as much air out as possible, and put that into another zip-top freezer bag for an extra layer of protection.

4 comments:

Alice H said...

I used the little Glad disposable round containers for baby food. If freezer burn is a problem (it never seemed to be for us) you could put a layer of plastic wrap over the food before you lid it.

We ended up with about 50 of the suckers when Boo was finally off baby food, but they have gradually disappeared as I have sent them as salad dressing containers with my husband to work.

ChiefFamilyOfficer said...

Thanks, Alice! I do plan on using small plastic containers when Alex's portions are bigger, and those little Glad ones are a great idea.

Alice H said...

Use a dry erase marker to write the contents and the freeze date on the lid - the writing won't come off in the dishwasher but it will with a little elbow grease and soap in the sink.

ChiefFamilyOfficer said...

I've got a method that doesn't require any elbow grease: some painter's masking tape and a Sharpie. It works fabulously. But I'll keep your method in the back of my mind in case I run out of tape!