Nov 26, 2005

The Joy of Giving

Usually, when someone talks about the joy of giving, they're referring to the joy of giving to the less fortunate, but in this case, I'm referring to the joy of giving to your loved ones. MBHunter's comment about not going shopping at all on Black Friday reminded me of an entry I read on The Dollar Stretcher's This Old Housewife blog. The November 11 entry is by a student who wrote about her lacks of wants, and said that one reason she doesn't spend much money is that she doesn't have friends. That made me feel sad.

I love giving gifts. I shop all year round for gifts, and I have a couple of boxes in my closet where I stash gifts that I can give when the occasion arises. An "occasion" can be a birthday or a holiday, but it is also often just a token to say "thank you" or "I'm thinking of you." Sometimes I give gifts to mere acquaintances just to say "I'm sorry you're having a rough time." The important thing here is that these gifts are budgeted for and relatively inexpensive, and I get to have fun hunting for great bargains. Most of all, they serve an important purpose: they give joy.

No comments: