Jan 31, 2006

Beware of Nonstick Cookware

An independent review panel has concluded that PFOA, a chemical used to make Teflon and other nonstick and stain-resistant products should be considered a "likely" carcinogen. The EPA wants to eliminate PFOA from emissions and products by 2015.

This is pretty sad news to me since I love my nonstick pans. I even sent OXO an email asking if their products contain PFOA since I have so many of their utensils. (I'll let you know what they say.) But the good news is that I recently acquired a stainless steel pan and have discovered that food doesn't stick permanently to it and that it is possible to keep it clean. My biggest fear about getting a stainless steel pan was that I would have to spend hours cleaning it but that hasn't been the case (it's also dishwasher safe).

I'm now ready to invest in one or two stainless steel pots, especially since the nonstick coating on my saucepans is scratched. I will probably get this 4-quart saucepan and maybe this 2-quart saucepan as well. I'll post a product review after I've used one or both a few times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you stay close to the "health food networks" you learn and trust the information long before mainsteam America catches on.Therefore, I never owned a teflon pan, nor wafflemakers,ie. with the coating.You can also stop nuking nutrients out of food with the microwave.I just boil water in mine.

p.s. just accidentally found your site,and now I'll bookmark it.Thanks for the parfait recipe.