May 28, 2007

Breastfeeding Tyler - Update #4

See my previous posts on this topic here, here, here, and here.

As of my last update, the amount I've spent breastfeeding Tyler was $537. But as I knew it would, the amount has now exceeded my target budget of $600. I'm up to $657 after buying another two bottles of More Milk Special Blend ($110) and another package of Lansinoh Milk Storage Bags ($10).

A couple of notes about those products:
  • I could probably stop taking the Special Blend at this point, but I'm too afraid to risk my milk supply. Tyler will start solids very soon, though, and once he's nursing less, I'll probably take less Special Blend. Right now, an 8-ounce bottle lasts about three weeks. The liquid doesn't taste great (I add water to it and then down it in one gulp) but it's more economical than taking the More Milk Plus and Goat's Rue capsules (the Special Blend is simply a combo of the two products).
  • Medela now makes storage bags that attached to your pumping equipment so you can pump right into the bags if you're going to store your milk. If the bags work, they're super convenient. I'm not sure I'm going to try them, though, since a 25-count package of Medela bags is $10 at Target, the same cost as a 50-count package of Lansinoh bags.

No comments: