CFO Logo

Friday, May 25, 2007

Getting an MRI While Breastfeeding

With the caveat that you should always check with your doctor to get advice tailored to your specific situation, here's a little about my experience with getting a MRI while breastfeeding.

Actually, I needed two MRIs. I checked with Tyler's pediatrician and was told it would be fine.

And it was, for the first one.

But for the second MRI, a contrast agent was required. When I told the technologist that I'm breastfeeding, she said that I shouldn't breastfeed for 24 hours after getting the contrast agent because it contains a metal and they don't know how it affects nursing babies. My lactation consultant, Ellen Steinberg, also said I shouldn't breastfeed for 24 hours after getting the contrast agent. So, I had to make sure that I had enough breastmilk stored for 24 hours worth of bottles. Since Tyler weighs about 17 pounds, Ellen said he needed 30 to 40 ounces in a 24-hour period.

We were pretty diligent about giving Alex a bottle regularly but with the general chaos of our lives now, it hasn't been a high priority with Tyler, who's always taken a bottle if he was hungry enough, no matter how infrequently we offered it. And though I worried about whether he'd get enough to eat, he was a champ about taking the bottles, though he kept turning his head toward my chest and breaking my heart. I also frequently use nursing as a comfort/sleep aid (I can't help taking the easy route there) and living without that was hard, though I discovered that Tyler will now take a pacifier again (he'd stopped a couple of months ago).

It ended up being a total of 26 1/2 hours between nursings because I nursed Tyler at 7:30 a.m. on the day of the MRI, but didn't get the contrast agent until about 10:00 (it was injected in the middle of the procedure). I don't know who was happier about being able to nurse again - me or Tyler!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home