Aug 14, 2007

Choosing a Private School

I’m sure I’ll talk more about this topic as my boys get older, but for now, it’s enough to say that we’ve decided that they will attend private school and that it’s going to cost a small fortune. Alex will start kindergarten three years from now, so I’ve begun seriously researching our options. I liked this post at Lifehack, which discusses factors to consider in choosing a private high school. I think they’re generally applicable to choosing any private school, and included one point in particular that I’m not sure would ever have explicitly occurred to me:
How long a honeymoon will you endure? As it will take one to two years of research, Shopping around and open houses to attend, your decision should be given some time to play itself out. Don’t let one negative interaction with one secretary undermine several years of thoughtful discernment. On the other hand, if you see a pattern of poor communication or worse yet, irresponsibility on the part of the school administration, a red flag may be emerging. I recommend giving the school one to two years of honeymoon time.

No comments: