Aug 6, 2007

Reducing the Cost of Buying Organic

I prefer buying organic versions of many products, simply because I think that the fewer foreign particles in our bodies, the easier it is for our bodies to be healthy. But buying organic can be expensive, especially when it comes to meat. I have a few strategies for cutting costs, the biggest of which is to do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. Their prices are usually lower, the quality is excellent, and because they don't have sales, I'm not constantly worried about stocking up or stressed out about getting there before a deal expires (though I do stock up on certain items that they often run out of). Another thing I do to reduct the amount we spend on organic items is buy dairy products that aren't actually organic, but come from cows that weren't given the RBST growth hormone. (I do buy organic milk for Alex, though.)

For ideas, check out these articles:
You may also want to check out Rebecca's Pocket, where the author blogs about Eating Organic on a Food Stamp Budget.

No comments: