Sep 26, 2007

Domperidone and Breastfeeding

When I was going through my milk supply troubles with Alex, I definitely would have taken domperidone if my doctor had offered to me. According to kellymom.com:
Domperidone has been used successfully in Canada and other areas of the world, and has significantly fewer side effects than Reglan. It has been approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use in breastfeeding mothers, and has been given Lactation Risk Category L1 ("safest") in the 2004 edition of Medications and Mothers' Milk. It is not widely available in the U.S. - you may be able to get a compounding pharmacy to make it for you if your doctor prescribes it, or may also be able to order it from Canada or other countries).
But today, Parenting Magazine cautioned:
In 2004, the Food and Drug Administration banned its sale for any use, due to concerns about health risks. Yet some pharmacies continue to sell it, and moms are taking the drug because many doctors contend it's safer than commonly prescribed lactation aids. Whether or not it's safe enough, it's definitely not legal. Until more research is available, ask your doctor about natural lactation aids or techniques if you're having trouble.
I certainly found a "natural" aid that worked for me: More Milk Special Blend. I haven't noticed any harmful effects, but the label does say that they haven't studied the long term effects and I would recommend you speak to your doctor or lactation consultant before taking it if you have any concerns.

No comments: