Oct 16, 2007

Think outside the box to save money

In the last couple of days, I've come across two stories about thinking outside the box that I found very entertaining. The first is at Wise Bread, about a millionaire who took out a $5,000 loan.

The second is at Money Ning, about an old man with a son in prison.

The moral of both stories is that you can accomplish a lot by thinking unconventionally. This isn't something I'm gifted at doing, but I manage to come by some great ideas just the same. My two best tricks are:
  • Brainstorm. Just a few minutes of letting my brain do its thing without any restrictions or structure often leads to a surprising idea.
  • Use others' ideas. My friends often have good suggestions I wouldn't have thought of, and my favorite magazines often have fabulous tips. Of course, these days I also rely heavily on the internet - I get great ideas from the blogs and newsletters that I subscribe to.
What are your tips for coming up with great, unconventional ideas?

1 comment:

SAHMmy Says said...

I really live by the old saying, "Necessity is the Mother of Invention!" Most of my frugal ideas or homemaking techniques are developed through trial and error. With money, lots of errors and with organizing, lots of trials!