Apr 8, 2008

Mock Fried Zucchini Strips

I used to make something similar to this recipe back in college, using eggplant. I think it was a Cooking Light recipe, but it was so long ago, I can't be sure. In any event, this is probably our favorite way to eat zucchini (well, Marc's and mine, anyway - the boys don't eat vegetables anymore).

Mock Fried Zucchini Strips
Serves 4

1 lb. zucchini
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
approximately 2 tsp of Italian seasoning (or use a mix of oregano, basil and parsley; you can also substitute 2 cups of herbed breadcrumbs for the panko and spices)
1/8 tsp salt

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly cover with cooking spray.

2. Wash the zucchini and cut the ends off. Slice lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips.

3. Crush the spices with your fingers, and combine them in a shallow dish (I like to use a pie plate) with the panko and salt.

4. Spread a very thin layer of mayonnaise on both sides of a slice of zucchini. Dredge the zucchini in the panko mixture, pressing the panko in for maximum coverage. Place the zucchini on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining zucchini.

5. Bake the zucchini for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown. They will be crunchy and tasty - the perfect light accompaniment to your favorite spring and summer dishes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds pretty good. Think it would work just as well with light mayo? I'll give it a try this week.

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds delish. My sister was just diagnosed with breast cancer and I am more obsessed than ever with getting fruit and vegetables into my family--I really think there is a scary connection between what we are consuming in the modern world and how our bodies are responding. And hang in there with your boys not eating veggies. My 2-year old was on a veggie strike for months and tonight, he could not devour the (undercooked and a little old I might add) green beans from his dad's plate fast enough! They are fickle, these little ones!
As always, love this blog as a mom and a working woman. Thanks!!

Chief Family Officer said...

@Eden - I'm sure light mayo would work beautifully. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the Cooking Light recipe that inspired this recipe used light mayo. :)

@anon - I am so sorry to learn of your sister's diagnosis. I pray that it was caught early and that she goes into remission soon and lives a very long life. Thank your for your kind words and the reassurance about the veggies - Tyler ate the carrots and potatoes in the stew I made tonight, while Alex wouldn't touch it. (sigh) At least they both eat fruit, I guess!

Rachel said...

Mmmm... those sound really good! We might have to try next time zucchini is a decent price!