Apr 16, 2008

Review: Oriental Trading Company

I had heard good things about Oriental Trading Company, so I decided to check it out for Alex's birthday party last month. I highly recommend it.

Their craft kits are inexpensive and easy to use. They didn't have any garbage truck-themed crafts, so I had to settle on a couple of dinosaur crafts - magnets ($3.95 for a kit that makes 12) and picture frames ($11.95 for a set that makes 24). I also picked up some adorable plush dinosaurs to give away as favors ($14.95 per dozen).

The crafts were a big hit - I was more than a little pleased that the three-year-olds didn't need too much help with them, and a couple of the moms in particular had a blast. (I sent the leftover supplies home with them!)

OTC's shipping rates aren't exorbitant, but I was able to find a free shipping code so I didn't have to pay for shipping. I also made my purchase through Ebates, which earned me 4% of my purchase back.

I was really pleased with OTC's selection (well, except for the lack of garbage truck-related products!), and I'll definitely be ordering again from them in the future.

Full disclosure: I am not an affiliate of Oriental Trading Company. I just thought other parents might find this post helpful.


Image credit: Oriental Trading Company.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used this company ALL the time when I was a children's librarian. We could get great crafts and prizes that were cheap enough to suit our always-limited budget.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Yup! I use it all the time as a teacher for prizes. I used it for a grown up luau. The BEST deal was that I used it for my daughter's wedding! I got bubbles, favors, and a silver plated engraved cake knife/server for about 12 dollars.
It is really great.
EastCoast Mom

Melissa said...

I use this company quite often for birthday party items...they are SO much cheaper than other places to get the exact same items.

One thing we got for my daughter's birthday last year was individual drink cups with lids/straws. It was great, we wrote everyone's names on them and then they took them home. No spills, and the price was fantastic.

Clean ClutterFree Simple said...

I hate to be the negative commenter, but most of their products are made in China. Do they have a quality assurance statement?

Anonymous said...

If you give them your email address they will often send you discount codes (free shipping, percent off, etc.)

I got some light up spiders once from them, and several did not work. When I called they sent me another set, no questions asked.

I am really enjoying your blog!

Chief Family Officer said...

@Melissa - Great idea! I may have to do that next time ...

@CCS - Excellent question. They seem to take safety very seriously - here's their product safety message.

@Beth - Thank you for your kind words! And thanks for the tip and the info on their customer service!