May 3, 2008

The 29-Day Giving Challenge: Day 18

Today was Day 18 of my 29-Day Giving Challenge. I donated two bags of clothing and a bag of miscellaneous items to Goodwill today. In a way, I feel like today's giving doesn't really count for the challenge because it's something I would have done anyway, and it's almost more for my own benefit than someone else's. I mean, I cleared out two bags' worth of clothing that I don't wear anymore, and some other items that were simply collecting dust. It feels so good to get clutter out of my house that the donation aspect simply isn't as rewarding. But I guess I still have 11 days to give meaningful gifts. :)

3 comments:

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

I think there are parts of giving that are for your own benefit, and sometimes that's okay. For example, when I'm having a bad week and think things are awful (which of course they aren't, when you get perspective by thinking of others), I find something I can do to give to others. Just by changing my focus from myself to others and giving something (my time, goods/services, or whatever), I make myself feel better while ALSO helping others.

Chief Family Officer said...

Thanks, Gina - you're absolutely right, of course!

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

Always what I like to hear. :)