Nov 17, 2008

Easy and Inexpensive Homemade Gift: Scented Bath Salts

On the rare occasion when I have time to make a homemade gift, I like making scented bath salts. They make thoughtful thank-you gifts and great baby or bridal shower favors. They also make a great addition to a spa or pedicure-themed gift basket. (Check out Mommy Making Money for ideas on how to make such baskets for free via The Drugstore Game.)

The best part about scented bath salts is that they're inexpensive and super easy to make. I use a recipe that I think came from Martha Stewart, although I can't find it online:

Just combine nine parts of epsom salt with one part baking soda, then add several drops of the essential oil of your choice until you achieve the desired fragrance. You can add a couple of drops of food coloring if you want to color the bath salts (a little goes a very long way). I've found that the easiest way to combine everything is in a large zip top bag - just moosh everything together until thoroughly combined. Then pour the bath salts into a pretty jar and affix a label and maybe a ribbon.
That's it!

Image credit: Amazon.com.

No comments: