Feb 24, 2009

Recent incidents where I spent some money and it was good

This is the flip side of yesterday's post, when I discussed times when I didn't spend money because the value of what I would have received wasn't worth the expense – even if the expense was less than one dollar. On the other hand, though, I've recently spent some money that was worth every penny.

A couple of weeks ago, I got my eyebrows waxed for the first time in over two years. It cost $36, including tip, but I had a $19 gift certificate, so I paid only $17. I find that I'm happiest about my brows if I get them waxed at least once a year. I can do some maintenance on my own, but there comes a time where I need a professional to restore the basic shape. Since eyebrows can make a subtle but huge difference in how my face looks, this expense was long overdue.

I got my hair cut for $66, including tip. I've already discussed why this was a worthwhile expenditure.

I bought a new pair of shoes, and I wear them almost every day. They're Naturalizers and were less than $35, with free shipping. These shoes have added a new dimension to my wardrobe, so I'm very happy with them (especially because they're comfortable!).

I bought new bras. All of my bras were from before I had kids. Keep in mind that Tyler is now over two years old – and he's been done nursing since he was 18 months old. I tried a Playtex bra from Target but hated it. And although I'd avoided Victoria's Secret for years because their salespeople were so aggressive, I went in because I was desperate. And they do make quality undergarments. I now have four new bras, including a fabulous sports bra, and I couldn't be happier with them. Plus, their saleswomen seemed more mellow so maybe I won't be so reluctant to go in from now on. (And they have great online deals too.)

You may have noticed that all of the incidents fall into one category: my physical and mental well-being. That's because I recently realized that I am worth spending some money on. For too many years, I'd put off expenses like these because they weren't necessary, and I always felt like I'd deserve them more after I lost weight. Well, I've lost a little weight but not enough to change those feelings. I just suddenly understood that I'm worthy now. And I deserve to feel good now. :D

5 comments:

Mrs. J said...

We are all entitled to treats like those. Sometimes we have to pay more to get more :)

AudreyO said...

Sometimes we just need to spend some money. When my shoes or bras wear out, I buy new ones. I get my hair cut about every 8 weeks. I just need to do some things. I'm funny with shoes, I wear them until they wear out then I get a new pair. I stopped by today as I'm working on visiting the many blogs from Bloggy Carnival now that I have time to read and comment.

Janet said...

GOOD FOR YOU! I don't feel guilty about spending money sometimes. I save enough money to spend a little more on some things.

Sarina said...

You've just received the Honest Scrap Award!

Click here to grab the image and the rules.

Kasey said...

Yes, you are worth it! Good posts.