Aug 24, 2009

Deciding how much to share

I think every blogger struggles at some point over how much information to share. If a blog is public, anyone can read what's published. And once it's out there, you can't take it back. Even if you un-publish something, it might be cached, or quoted, or at least indelibly etched in someone's memory.

Since day one of this blog, I've tried to err on the side of caution, and not publish anything I might later regret. There are times when I've been unsuccessful, but for the most part, I think I've done a good job of protecting my family's privacy. I particularly don't want the day to come, five or ten or fifteen years from now, when one of my boys is furious with me for something I innocently revealed.

This is all a roundabout explanation of why I've been so mysterious about our medical crisis. I don't want to go into details simply because I don't want to compromise my children's privacy - now or in the future. But I did want to explain why I'm not sharing details, since I know I'd be curious if it one of the bloggers I read every day was so oblique. And I sincerely appreciate all of the kind thoughts and prayers. They truly mean a lot!

4 comments:

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

Oh, I didn't even think twice about it. You've always been guarded as a writer (as opposed to some who splash every detail of their child's life on a non-personal blog), so I hope you haven't had any grief over it.

Still glad to hear things are settling down over there!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you, I don't have a blog, but I have been reading them for only about 3 months and am shocked on how reviling some people have been. There are a couple of bloggers that I have read that stopped blogging because they have said they have been sharing too much.. I hope your all goes well with your beautiful little one and thanks for your blog.. Erika

MetaMommy said...

Despite being anonymous, I find that I still have to be private with certain things (e.g., kids' medical issues). I've come to accept that there are some things that they may not appreciate being public one day. After all, just because I'm blogging doesn't mean that they've given up their privacy.

katy said...

I totally understand how you feel. I hope all is better for your family.