Dec 17, 2009

Easy Creamed Spinach

I picked up a box of frozen creamed spinach because it was free after sale and coupons, but my darling husband - who loves creamed spinach - wasn't too thrilled. And since I love to make him happy, I decided to try making creamed spinach from scratch. It's not something I grew up eating, and I've had it at a restaurant maybe once - but I had a pretty good idea of what it should look like, and I know if something tastes good. It turned out to be incredibly easy - but of course, full of fat. I'm going to experiment with a healthier version that we can have more often, but in the meantime, here's the decadent version:

Easy Creamed Spinach
Serves 4

1 pound frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the heavy cream, garlic and butter. Stir often for 10 minutes, or until the cream is hot.

2. Stir in the spinach and reduce heat to low. Add salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until spinach is tender. The heat should be low enough that the lid does not rattle - you don't want to burn the spinach or lose too much liquid, because the mixture will be quite thick. If you feel it's too thick, stir in a little bit of milk. Serve hot.

No comments: