May 17, 2010

Frugal Kitchen Tip: Freeze leftover juice

My boys drink milk and water but not that much juice. Weird, I know, but unless it's "special" juice like Naked Juice or even Capri Sun, they usually opt for milk or water over, say, apple juice. That's okay with me, but it often leaves me with a half-bottle of apple juice that's getting old.

I don't know why this never occurred to me before, and maybe you already do it since CFO readers are pretty frugal and savvy. But I had to get the idea from the September 2009 issue of Parents magazine:
If you have leftover juice, freeze it in cube trays. When you want diluted juice, just add some cubes to water.

Brilliant!

2 comments:

Camille said...

You can also juice lemons or oranges that are getting old and freeze that (not my idea - that one belongs to a friend of mine). I read in Cook's Illustrated that zest freezes well for up to 3 mos, too! :-)

Chief Family Officer said...

@Camille - Thanks! I actually have a couple of lemons on their last legs and now I know what to do with them. :)