Dec 30, 2010

Pumpkin Waffles

Again, I neglected to take a picture of the finished product, but my waffles aren't very pretty anyway. Having had the experience of overflowing my waffle maker, I now tend to always put in too little batter and end up with diamonds instead of circles. I'm not a fan of Belgian waffles, so I got this Cuisinart Classic Waffle Maker a while back and it's served me well. The only thing I don't like is that if I put fruit (like blueberries or bananas) in the batter, it tends to stick. So I was rather pleased when I thought of putting pumpkin puree in, because it doesn't stick and still gives it a special flavor.

Pumpkin Waffles
Makes approximately 12 traditional waffles

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (dark or light)
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 eggs, lightly beaten
8 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup reduced fat milk
8 ounces pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin)

1. Preheat your waffle maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon.

3. In a small bowl (I use my 4-cup measuring cup), whisk together the eggs, butter, milk and pumpkin. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk together until almost smooth. (Unless you sifted your brown sugar, there will be small lumps which will be extra tasty in the cooked waffles.)

4. Pour batter into your waffle maker and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve with warm maple syrup.

Note: For breakfast on the go, you could substitute 1/4 cup of the milk with 1/4 cup maple syrup so your waffle has the maple syrup flavor built in.

3 comments:

Misty said...

Thanks for sharing this... these look amazing! gonna have to try them
-Misty

Anonymous said...

These sound so good! I might just have to use the waffle maker my husband had to have from years ago. I think we have used it once! Pumpkin is on clearance at Walgreens too....I think 99 cents a can.
Jaclyn

Chief Family Officer said...

@Misty - Let me know what you think!

@Jaclyn - There's a better pumpkin deal @ Amazon. Check my Morning Coffee post coming up in a few minutes!