Dec 28, 2010

Two Themes for 2011: Health & Acceptance

One blog I read regularly is Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project, and recently she suggested choosing one word to set the tone for the new year. I immediately liked the idea, but I couldn't really separate the two themes I've chosen for 2011: Health and Acceptance.

Health, because I'm approaching 40, and I can feel myself getting older. The last ten years or so, I've been focused a lot outside myself - on my career, on my fertility (I had two miscarriages), being a mom, getting financially secure . . . the list goes on.

I haven't totally neglected myself, and this blog is proof of that. I wouldn't blog if I didn't enjoy it!

But.

I sense that this is the time to really start focusing on taking care of my health, to ward off any problems before they start. I need to exercise more, eat healthier, and lose some weight - these simple yet not-so-simple tasks will be at the top of my to do list.

Acceptance, because a big obstacle for me in improving my health is a failure to accept myself. I was taught, as I was growing up, to always look for ways to improve. A noble message, but what I heard was, It's not good enough. And nowhere has that message affected me more than the way I perceive myself. So in order to improve my health in a meaningful way, I also have to learn to accept myself more fully.

Of course, being healthier myself has a trickle-down effect on the family since everyone will end up eating healthier if I cook healthier foods. Plus I'll set a good example for the kids by exercising regularly and taking care of myself.

Since my health will be my top priority, I'll be blogging about it here. Let's share tips and encourage each other to take care of ourselves in 2011.

And that way 2012 will be even better :)

2 comments:

Susan T said...

I joined Curves and found someone to go with me and that has made such a difference. I can feel how much stronger my muscles are and it is easier to get off the couch when the kids call me for something! I have read that research shows that if you can see the health value of exercising, you are more likely to keep doing it than if you just do it to loose wt- since people don't keep doing it if that is their only motivation. Anyway, this is the first time that I have consistently gone to a gym but I like the atmosphere there and it really works for me as it doesn't take long. Also, if the gym is more than 10 minutes drive away, you aren't likely to keep going. Something to think about isn't it?

Chief Family Officer said...

@Susan - Teaming up with someone is a great idea to keep up going to the gym. And what you say about exercising for health rather than just weight loss makes sense too. Keep it up - I'm rooting for you!